THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

THE KING OF LOVE MY SHEPHERD IS

A HYMN FOR GOOD SHEPHERD SUNDAY


The King of love my shepherd is, 
Whose goodness faileth never.
I nothing lack if I am his,
And he is mine forever.

Where streams of living water flow,
My ransomed soul he leadeth;
And where the verdant pastures grow,
With food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish, oft I strayed, 
But yet in love he sought me; 
And on his shoulder gently laid, 
And home, rejoicing, brought me.


In death's dark vale I fear no ill,
With thee, dear Lord, beside me; 
Thy rod and staff my comfort still, 
Thy cross before to guide me.


Thou spreadst a table in my sight;
Thy unction grace bestoweth; 
And oh, what transport of delight 
From thy pure chalice floweth!


And so through all the length of days,
Thy goodness faileth never; 
Good Shepherd, may I sing thy praise 
Within thy house forever.


By H.W. Baker, 1868

No comments:

Post a Comment