THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, June 20, 2021

I HEARD THE VOICE OF JESUS SAY

 A HYMN FOR THE 4TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST


by Horatius Bonar, 1846 

 

1 I heard the voice of Jesus say, 
“Come unto me and rest.
Lay down, O weary one, 
lay down your head upon my breast.”
I came to Jesus as I was, 
so weary, worn, and sad.
I found in him a resting place,
and he has made me glad.

 

2 I heard the voice of Jesus say, 
“Behold, I freely give 
the living water, thirsty one; 
stoop down and drink and live.”
I came to Jesus, and I drank 
of that life-giving stream.
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
and now I live in him.

 

3 I heard the voice of Jesus say,
“I am the dawning light.
Look unto me, your morn shall rise,
and all your day be bright.”
I looked to Jesus, and I found 
in him my star, my sun,
and in that light of life I’ll walk 
till trav’ling days are done.


No comments:

Post a Comment