THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, October 20, 2019

GOD OF MERCY AND COMPASSION

A HYMN FOR THE 19TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST


By Fr. Edmund Vaughan, C.SS.R.

God of mercy and compassion,
Look with pity upon me,
Father, let me call thee Father,
‘Tis thy child returns to thee.

Refrain:
Jesus, Lord, I ask for mercy;
Let me not implore in vain;
All my sins, I now detest them,
Never will I sin again.

2.  By my sins I have deserved
Death and endless misery,
Hell with all its pains and torments,
And for all eternity.

3.  By my sins I have abandoned
Right and claims to heav’n above.
Where the saints rejoice forever
In a boundless sea of love.

4.  See our Savior, bleeding, dying,
On the cross of Calvary;
To that cross my sins have nail’d him
Yet he bleeds and dies for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment