THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, February 9, 2020

WHY STAND YE HERE ALL THE DAY IDLE?

A REFLECTION FOR SEPTUAGESIMA


Complacency is one of the greatest dangers we encounter in our progress towards our final end.  How easy it is to just let things go, to relax and ignore the dangers that face us and the challenges to which God invites us to rise.  As we bask today in the comfortable satisfaction that is so alluring, suddenly the clarion call of God’s mercy and justice sounds out!  It shatters our illusion of smug tranquility, beckoning us to respond with every fiber of our being, that we might survive our final judgment and reap the rewards of a Christian life well spent.

The question we must ask ourselves today, and I repeat the word “must,” is whether we will choose to answer God’s alarm call to action, or, as we so often do each morning, merely hit the snooze button, and put off our responsibilities for as long as we think we can.  But we should consider God’s alarm more as the urgent wail of a tornado warning—we’d better move fast before we are swept up in the vortex of a sinful world and the devil’s clutches.  We may stand idle, but the devil doesn’t!

The householder in today’s Gospel needs workers in his fields.  It is harvest time and all those blades of wheat, human souls every one, must be gathered for the great judgment.  When we look around us at the great fruited plains of this world, do we see wheat, or do we see weeds?  One of these days, Christ will come in judgment and will separate them, one from the other.  It’s up to us to tend the wheat and make sure it survives.  Where is your wheat this morning?  Are all my children attending Mass today?  Have I done all I can to convince my family of the value of the true Mass and sacraments?  Have I learned my own faith well enough that I can teach it to others?  Am I supporting my fellow-Catholics by supporting the Church financially so it can continue providing the sacraments for them?  Most importantly of all, Where do I myself stand in this gathering of the wheat?  Will I find myself with the cockle, tied with other sinners to be burned?  Or can I honestly say that I have answered God’s call?  That I am firmly resolved to reject all sinful thoughts, words and deeds in my life?  Do I truly love God with all my heart and mind and soul and strength?

The great glory of God’s love for us is that he gives us so many choices.  Every second of every day, we have a choice how to act and what to do.  Today is the day God is calling us to make that choice and change our lives.  It’s never too late.  No matter how grave the sins of our past, no matter how deep we may be in the pits of complacency, we know we can turn back to God today and firmly resolve to do our duty.  Come, labor on!

No comments:

Post a Comment