THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, September 20, 2020

KING OF GLORY, KING OF PEACE

 A HYMN FOR THE 16TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST


By George Herbert, 1593-1633

 

1 King of glory, King of peace,

I will love Thee;

and that love may never cease,

I will move Thee.

Thou hast granted my request,

Thou hast heard me;

Thou didst note my working breast,

Thou hast spared me.

 

2 Wherefore with my utmost art

I will sing Thee,

and the cream of all my heart

I will bring Thee.

Though my sins against me cried,

Thou didst clear me;

and alone, when they replied,

Thou didst hear me.

 

3 Sev'n whole days, not one in sev'n,

I will praise Thee;

in my heart, though not in heav'n,

I can raise Thee.

Small it is, in this poor sort

to enroll Thee:

e'en eternity's too short

to extol Thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment