THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, September 12, 2021

ON THIS DAY, THE FIRST OF DAYS

 A HYMN FOR THE 16TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST


Translated from the Latin by H.W. Baker, 1861

 

On this day, the first of days,
God the Father's Name we praise,
Who, creation's Lord and spring,
Did the world from darkness bring.

 

On this day the eternal Son
Over death his triumph won;
On this day the Spirit came
With his gifts of living flame.

Maker, who didst fashion me
Image of thyself to be,
Fill me with thy love divine,
Let my every thought be thine.

Holy Jesus, may I be
Dead and buried here with thee;
And, by love inflamed, arise
Unto thee a sacrifice.

Thou who dost all gifts impart,
Shine, blest Spirit, in my heart;
Best of gifts, thyself bestow;
Make me burn thy love to know.

God, the blessèd Three in One,
Dwell within my heart alone;
Thou dost give thyself to me,
May I give myself to thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment