THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, September 25, 2022

FIRMLY I BELIEVE AND TRULY

 A HYMN FOR THE 16TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST


By John Henry Cardinal Newman

 

1 Firmly I believe and truly

God is Three and God is One;

And I next acknowledge duly

Manhood taken by the Son.

 

2 And I trust and hope most fully

In that manhood crucified;

And each thought and deed unruly

Do to death, as he has died.

 

3 Simply to his grace and wholly

Light and life and strength belong,

And I love supremely, solely,

Him the holy, him the strong.

 

 

4 And I hold in veneration,

For the love of him alone,

Holy Church as his creation,

And her teachings as his own.

 

5 Adoration ay be given,

With and through the angelic host,

To the God of earth and heaven,

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.


No comments:

Post a Comment