THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, April 3, 2022

MY GOD, I LOVE THEE, NOT BECAUSE

 A HYMN FOR PASSIONTIDE


Attributed to St. Francis Xavier, translated by Fr. Edward Caswall, 1849

 

My God, I love thee; not because

I hope for heaven thereby,

Nor yet because who love thee not

Are lost eternally.

 

Thou, O my Jesus, thou didst me

Upon the cross embrace;

For me didst bear the nails and spear

And manifold disgrace;

 

And griefs and torments numberless,

And sweat of agony;

Yea, death itself — and all for one

Who was thine enemy.

 

Then why, O blessèd Jesu Christ,

Should I not love thee well?

Not for the sake of winning heaven,

Nor of escaping hell.

 

Not from the hope of gaining aught,

Nor seeking a reward;

But as thyself hast lovèd me,

O ever-loving Lord

 

So would I love thee, dearest Lord,

And in thy praise will sing,

Solely because thou art my God,

And my most loving King.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment