THE LITURGICAL YEAR

Sermons, hymns, meditations and other musings to guide our annual pilgrim's progress through the liturgical year.

Sunday, April 10, 2022

WHEN I SURVEY THE WONDROUS CROSS

 A HYMN FOR HOLY WEEK


By Isaac Watts, 1707
 

 1 When I survey the wondrous cross

on which the Prince of glory died,

my richest gain I count but loss,

and pour contempt on all my pride.

 

2 Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,

save in the death of Christ, my God!

All the vain things that charm me most,

I sacrifice them through his Blood.

 

3 See, from his head, his hands, his feet,

sorrow and love flow mingled down.

Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,

or thorns compose so rich a crown?

 

4 Were the whole realm of nature mine,

that were a present far too small.

Love so amazing, so divine,

demands my soul, my life, my all.


No comments:

Post a Comment